News and views

RESP withdrawals: what qualifies as valid proof of enrollment

Valid proof of enrollment is required when making an Educational Assistance Payment (EAP) or Post-Secondary Education Payment (PSE) from a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP).

It is important to distinguish which type of payment you wish to make before you start the withdrawal process. Check out our blog post 'RESP withdrawals: types and taxation' for more information.

Acceptable documents:

  1. confirmation of enrollment letter from the registrar office
  2. invoice from the educational institution
  3. class schedule

The document must include ALL of the mandatory pieces of information listed below and is valid for 6 months following the end of the semester:

  • must be an official document from the post-secondary institution
  • must include the name of the post-secondary institution
  • must include the name of the beneficiary (student)
  • the semester/term (i.e. Winter 2020)
  • the student's status (full-time or part-time)

Documents NOT accepted:

  1. acceptance letter
  2. admissions offer
  3. email

If you have any questions or concerns about making an RESP withdrawal or obtaining valid proof of enrollment, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Read also: RESP withdrawals: types and taxation

Posted In: Education Planning